An academic collaboration has started in 2018 between the Dept. of Mediterranean Studies, School of Humanities of the University of the Aegean and the College of History & Culture and Dept. of Geographic Sciences, Faculty of the Environment & Planning of the University of Henan, in order to strengthen the educational and research collaboration of both sides. The Research Center for Yellow River Cultures has been established. It is the only Center in Greece and Europe which deals with Chinese – Hellenic archaeological and not only issues of mutual interest.
Coordinator from the Dept. of Mediterranean Studies is Prof. Ioannis Liritzis, Director of the Laboratories of Archaeometry and Environmental Archaeology & Preventive Conservation, and from the Dept of Geographic Sciences; Collaborative Innovation Center on Yellow River Civilization of Henan Province; Key Research Institute of Yellow River Civilization and Sustainable Development, Division of Archaeology Prof. Miao Changhong, Director of Key Research Institute of Yellow River Civilization and Sustainable Development.
A cooperation program is established for the following designated fields of study:
- developing joint educational projects such as joint Master Degree in China in English language; offer practical fieldwork to undergraduate and postgraduate students; provide opportunities learning Greek and Chinese respectively.
- developing joint research projects, exchange publications and library exchanges. In particular:
- establishment of the “Joint International Research Laboratory of Environmental Archaeology and Cultural Heritage Protection”,
- establishment of the “Joint Center for Comparative Ancient Sino-Hellenic Civilization Studies”
- establishment of the “Center for Hellenic Civilization” at Henan University and the “Center for Yellow River Civilization” at the University of the Aegean,
- exchange of invitations to scholars for lectures, talks, and sharing of experiences
- exchange of information in fields of interest to both Institutions,
- providing education opportunities to participate and/or co-organize accredited Summer Schools; co supervise students; accept and facilitate post-doctoral fellows; offer training in cultural management for Researchers, post-doctoral researchers, PhD candidates, postgraduate students, undergraduate students, trainees. Exchange of faculty members and students for study, teaching and research.
- organizing joint international conferences on Sino-Hellenic comparable cultures; the East-West historical axis of ancient cultures, trade, history, archaeology, technology, communication; exchange of invitations to scholars to participate in conferences, colloquia and symposia. The 1st International Sino-Hellenic Conference on Environment and Culture was held in June 2019 at the Kaifeng University. The 2nd is scheduled for 2020 in Rhodes.
- organizing joint workshops or other scientific evens such as advanced dating of stone tools; environmental archaeology and sustainability; new digital technologies in cultural tourism and museums; astronomical perspectives and influence on ancient cultures: Greece and China.
This collaboration is under way, with already published articles and a presence of Chinese students in Rhodes, which have been attended by DMS’s professors for one year and co-supervising a Greek PhD candidate (Mr Alex Westrea) at Henan University.
Scientific Responsible for RCYRC
Prof. Ioannis Liritzis
Professor of Archaeometry-Physical Sciences
Department of Mediterranean Studies
University of the Aegean