Address: “7th March” Campus Building, 1st floor, Room A17,
University of the Aegean, 1, Democratias Avenue, 85132 Rhodes, Greece
tel: +30 22410 99390-1
Professor Katerina T. Frantzi
tel.: +30 22410 99331
- Konstantinos Kalesis, affiliated with the “Apollonis” Research Project, PhD candidate in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Patras
- Georgios Markopoulos, Assistant Professor of the Department
- Maria Melissourgou, Postdoctoral Researcher, SRTS of the Department
- Chrysanthi Tiliakou, Postdoctoral Researcher, SRTS of the Department
- Michail Kyriakakis, PhD candidate
- Paraskevi-Anna Atzemi, D.E.A. University Paris V
- Faculty members of the Department
According to law (FEK A 235 31/10/2000, and by Presidential Decree 237, art. 1 & 2):
An Informatics Lab is founded within the Department of Mediterranean Studies of the University of the Aegean which caters for teaching and research needs in subjects relating to Informatics, communications and applications.
The Lab’s mission:
1. Catering for the teaching and research needs of the graduate and post graduate students of the Department of Mediterranean Studies and other departments of the University of the Aegean, in subjects relating to the research projects of the lab as these are described in article 1.
2. Cooperating with research centres and academic institutes in Greece and abroad, provided that their scientific aims converge with and complement those of the lab.
3. Organising scientific lectures, seminars, symposiums, conferences and various other scientific events, publishing research output and inviting recognized scientists from Greece and the rest of the world.
4. Offering services to individuals and organisations as provided in the Presidential Decree 159/1984 (A’53).
- Supporting the research projects of the Department
- Supporting research by the faculty members, PhD candidates and post-doctoral researchers
- Supporting the educational needs of the Department, hosting courses of the Undergraduate and Postgraduate curriculum
- Supporting the administration of the Department with the use of the lab’s computer equipment.
- Cooperating with researchers of the Department, the Faculty, the University and other Universities and Research centres within and outside Greece
- Organising and supporting lectures, seminars, meetings, conferences and other scientific events
A variety of Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses is taught in the Informatics Lab of the Department of the Mediterranean Studies.
Courses of the graduate curriculum
Computational Linguistics, Corpus Processing, Topics in Natural Language Processing, Typology, Phonetics-Phonology, Issues of Terminology in Linguistics, Morphology, Mycenaean Culture,
Second/Foreign Language Teaching, Research Methodology in Linguistics, Digital Technologies in Education, Social Identity Archeology
Courses of the Postgraduate curriculum
Computational Processing of the Ancient Drama Language, Corpus Applications to Language Teaching, Contemporary Mediterranean History, Euro-Mediterranean Relations and Governance in the
Mediterranean, International Organisations and the Protection of Human Rights in the broader Mediterranean area, Energy Security in the Mediterranean, Forced Migration and Security in the
Mediterranean, International Law of the Sea and the Mediterranean, European Governance, Globalisation and the position of the Mediterranean, International Relations in the Southern-Eastern Europe
The Informatics lab is the Host Laboratory for the Internship Support System for Greek Higher Education Students, https://atlas.grnet.gr/DefaultEn.aspx (2011- up to now).
Corpus Design and Construction
Languages for Specific Purposes
First and second/foreign language teaching
Research Project Support
- Research Project “Apollonis” https://apollonis-infrastructure.gr/ :
clarin:el National Infrastructure for Language Resources & Technologies, Language data & processing tools available for research, NSRF 2014-2020, https://www.clarin.gr/en [for the University of the Aegean: Prof. Katerina T. Frantzi, 2017-2021]
- clarin:el National Infrastructure for Language Resources & Technologies, Language data & processing tools available for research, (ESFRI-EUROPEAN STRATEGY FORUM FOR RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURES)» for «Common LANGUAGE Resources and Technology Infrastructure/CLARIN» [for the University of the Aegean: Prof. Katerina T. Frantzi, 01-09-2014 έως 31-12-2015].
- CLARIN-EL first stage (ESFRI-EUROPEAN STRATEGY FORUM FOR RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURES)» for «Common LANGUAGE Resources and Technology Infrastructure/CLARIN» [for the University of the Aegean: Prof. Katerina T. Frantzi, 26-07-2010 έως 31-01-2011]
- Support and Promotion of “Many-Islands Universities”: Implementation of a database for the Culture of the Aegean”: Immaterial culture – languages and Traditions in the Aegean, https://www.ru.aegean.gr › polinisiotikotita › Prokirixi_Drasi_6 [for the University of the Aegean: Prof. Eleni Skourtou]
The coordination of the Director of the Laboratory resulted (2019) to the Protocol of Co-operation between the Department of Mediterranean Studies and the National Centre for Text Mining, NaCTeM [https://www.nactem.ac.uk/].
The Laboratory of Informatics, with the support it provides to researchers, faculty members of the Department, Ph.D. candidates, PostDoctoral Researchers and external partners, reinforces the international profile and openness of the Department of Mediterranean Studies.