Single person and collective bodies as well as administrative service units are responsible for running Universities in Greece according to Law 4485/2017 following its amendment.
The Governing bodies of the Department of Mediterranean Studies are:
- The Department Assembly
- The Chairperson of the Department
The Department Assembly
The Assembly of the Mediterranean Studies Department consists of:
- The Chairperson and the Deputy Chairperson of the Department
- The Faculty members
- The undergraduate student representatives
- The postgraduate and doctoral candidate representatives
- One (1) representative of the Specialized Teaching Staff and one (1) of the Specialized Research and Teaching Staff
The Assembly has the following responsibilities:
- Conducts the general policy in terms of teaching and research of the Department and plots its course of development within the framework of the Faculty and the University policies.
- Draws the internal regulations and the studies program of the Department.
- Awards the degrees of the study programs organized by the Department.
- Allocates teaching responsibilities to the undergraduate and postgraduate course instructors.
- Forms groups for the internal evaluation of the Department.
- Proposes announcement of faculty members’ positions to the Dean.
Chairperson of the Department
Professors and full time Associate Professors can be candidates for the post of Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson. If there are no Senior Faculty members an assistant professor can put candidacy.
Elections are announced by the Faculty Dean three months before the end of tenure of the serving Chairperson and the Deputy Chairperson.
The Chairperson and the Deputy Chairperson is elected by direct secret ballot by:
- All the Faculty members of the Department (first group of electors)
- All the members of the Specialized Teaching Staff and of the Specialized Research and Teaching Staff of the Department (second group of electors)
The Chairperson has mainly the following responsibilities:
- S/he is in charge of the services of the Department and supervises its smooth operation.
- Convenes the Assembly of the Department, prepares the agenda, appoints a member of the Assembly as rapporteur on issues, chairs its Session, proposes issues for which no other member of the Assembly has been appointed rapporteur and ensures the implementation of its decisions.
- Ensures the implementation of the curriculum, including educational activities.
- Represents the Department in the Senate.
Μembers of the Assembly of the Department of Mediterranean Studies of Academic Year 2020-21:
Faculty Members DMS
- Lyrintzis Ioannis, Professor
- Seimenis Ioannis, Professor
- Magliveras Konstantinos, Professor
- Sakkas Ioannis, Professor
- Karantzola Eleni, Professor
- Frantzi Katerina, Professor, Chairperson
- Tsardanidis Charalambos, Professor
- Syropoulos Spyridon, Professor
- Stefanakis Emmanouil, Professor
- Kefala Paraskevi, Professor
- Kousoulis Panagiotis, Associate Professor, Deputy Chairperson
- Georgalidou Marianthi, Associate Professor
- Kotzoglou Georgios, Associate Professor
- Ntalis Sotirios, Associate Professor
- Maris Georgios, Associate Professor
- Strimpis Ioannis, Assistant Professor
- Nikolou Kalomoira, Assistant Professor
- Mina Maria, Assistant Professor
- Markopoulos Georgios, Assistant Professor
- Kaili Hasan, Assistant Professor
- Drivaliari Androniki, Lecturer
REPRESENTATIVE OF SPECIALIZED TEACHING STAFF Regular member: Ibrahim Fadel
REPRESENTATIVE OF SPECIALIZED RESEARCH AND TEACHING STAFF Regular member: Asimina Vafiadou / substitute member: Nektarios Zarras
REPRESENTATIVE OF UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS None appointed
REPRESENTATIVE OF POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS AND DOCTORAL CANDIDATES None appointed
Those who are on legal leave do not participate in the sessions of the above Body.
Competent bodies for the establishment, organization and operation of the Postgraduate Programs and the organization of the doctoral studies of the Higher Education Institutions in Greece are:
- The Senate of the University
- The Assembly of the Department or the Special Interdepartmental Committee in case of an interdepartmental Postgraduate Course and the Special Interdepartmental Committee in case of interuniversity Postgraduate Course
- The Coordinating Committee (C.C.) of Postgraduate Course
- The Committee for Postgraduate Studies
- The Director of the Postgraduate Course
The Administrative Bodies of Postgraduate Courses. and Δ.Π.Μ.Σ. of the Department of Mediterranean Studies are:
- The Assembly of the Department
- The Director of Postgraduate Course / interdepartmental Postgraduate Course
- The Coordinating Committee of Postgraduate Course / interdepartmental Postgraduate Course
- The Special Interdepartmental Committee of Interdepartmental Postgraduate Course
- The Assembly of the Department has the following responsibilities:
- Proposes to the Senate through the Committee of Postgraduate Studies for the necessity of establishing a Postgraduate Course.
- Appoints the members of C.C.
- Allocates teaching responsibilities to the postgraduate course instructors.
- Sets up selection or examination committees for postgraduate students or doctoral candidates.
- Attests to the successful completion of the course in order for the Postgraduate Diploma to be awarded.
- The Coordinating Committee (C.C.) of Postgraduate Studies Program consists of five (5) faculty members of the Department, who have undertaken a postgraduate project and are elected by the Assembly of the Department for a two-year term. The term of office of the President of C.C. can be renewed once. The C.C. is responsible for monitoring and coordinating the operation of the Program.
- The Director of each P.S.P. is a member of the C.C. and is appointed together with his / her Deputy, following decision of the Assembly of the Department for a two-year term. S/he chairs the C.C., is a Professor or an Associate Professor, is of the same or related cognitive field with the cognitive field if the P.S.P. and performs the duties defined by the current legislation and the Internal Regulations of the Postgraduate S.P. The Director of P.S.P. makes proposals to the competent bodies of the University on any issue related to the effective operation of the Program.
- In the case of the Interdepartmental P.S.P., or in case doctoral dissertations are co-supervised, the responsibilities of the Assembly of the Department are exercised by the Special Interdepartmental Committee, which is composed of Faculty members of the collaborating Departments elected by the Assembly of each Department, researchers nominated by the collaborating research body, in proportion to the number of the teaching staff in the Postgraduate Studies Program for a two-year term, as well as two representatives of the students of the postgraduate program, elected by the students of the relevant postgraduate program, for an annual term.
FRANTZI KATERINA, Professor, Chairperson of the Mediterranean Studies Department
Contact info: tel: 2241099331, email: email@example.com, Building “7 Martiou”, 2nd floor, Dimokratias 1, Rhodes 85132
PANAGIOTIS KOUSOULIS, Associate Professor, Deputy Chairperson of DMS and Director of the postgraduate Course “Archaeology of the Eastern Mediterranean from Prehistoric times to Late Antiquity: Greece, Egypt, Near East”
Contact info: tel.: 2241099341, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Building “7 Martiou”, 2nd floor, Dimokratias 1, Rhodes 85132
IOANNIS SAKKAS, Professor, Director of the postgraduate Course “Governance, Security and Development in the Mediterranean”
Contact info: tel.: 2241099321, email: email@example.com, Building “7 Martiou”, 1st floor, Dimokratias 1, Rhodes 85132
SPYRIDON SYROPOULOS, Professor, Director of the postgraduate Course “Ancient Theatre: Educational and Literary Approaches”
Contact info: tel.: 2241099341, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Building “7 Martiou”, 2nd floor, Dimokratias 1, Rhodes 85132
VASILIA KAZOULLI, Professor of the Department of Primary Education, Director of the Interdepartmental postgraduate Course “Analysis & Teaching of First & Second/Foreign Language”
Contact info: tel.: 2241099233, e-mail: email@example.com, Building “7 Martiou”, 1st floor, Dimokratias 1, Rhodes 85132